Thursday, August 22, 2013

A Day of Textiles in Teotitlan del Viaje

I am really enjoying all of the people I'm living here in Oaxaca.  Xochi is from Austin, TX, and she is in Oaxaca to learn how to make natural dyes.  Her teacher, Beto, was kind enough to invite us to his studio in to a town called Teotitlan del Viaje.  We saw his amazing studio and learned about the process of dying wool and making rugs.
Awesome studio
These looms are really old and really cool.
These rugs take months to make.  Since I have little to no patience, I would fail immediately. 
All of these fibers are dyed naturally, not synthetically
Spinning wool
On our walk to another studio we passed these walls.  This one says, "To a life free of violence"
How do you say catfish in Spanish?  El pescado de gato?!  I hope so because it's FUNNY! Also, I love this mural.
There is a weaving studio here, but I was more fascinated by this woman making monster tortillas.
If you don't think this kitten in a frying pan is cute then you're just crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment