Friday, November 25, 2016

¡VIVA ESPAÑA!

I feel very fortunate to be in Europe to present at two international conferences about my Community Engagement Photography class at The University of the Arts. Yesterday, I presented at The International Congress for Education and Learning at Universidad San Pablo CEU in Madrid. Originally, I was supposed to present in English, but they cancelled all of the English speaking presenters after I had committed to the conference so I presented in Spanish instead. Benjamin Franklin said, "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." I was prepared, and because of that I succeeded at something that I found quite intimidating. My presentation won the hearts of the audience and one woman thanked me for having the courage to present in Spanish. I was beaming from that point on.  



I am very lucky to have a friend in Madrid.  Alejandro and I worked together at Bar Ferdinand in Philadelphia, which is by far the most fabulous restaurant family I have ever been a part of.  When he left the States to go back to his native Madrid, I promised I would come visit if I could.  Alejandro came to my presentation with me in case I needed help translating questions from the audience.  Not only did he provide great moral support, but also gave me great feedback and celebrated with me afterward!  I am so grateful that we got to spend time together.  Did I mention this all took place on Thanksgiving?! Here's a look at our feast.
Alejandro with a celebratory Pisco Sour at La Pescería in Malasaña

Salmon Tartare at La Pescarería

Thanksgiving dinner: Foie gras with tomato-pimento jam, panko fried shrimp with jalapeño aioli, tuna sashimi on corn tortillas, and beef carpaccio with foie gras and hazelnuts



No comments:

Post a Comment