Sunday, August 4, 2013

HOORAY! A Day Off to Explore Puebla


Walking down the cobblestone streets toward the Antique Market
If I had a life's savings, it would be spent at this Antique Market.  However, I did buy about 40 or 50 of these stamps for 5 pesos each.  I will use them in future collages.  I also bought some handwritten letters from a woman in Puebla to her sister in Oaxaca.  They were written in 1917 and the penmanship is incredibly elegant.
I am not a religious person but I am endlessly fascinated with the religious iconography in predominately Catholic countries.  My dad and I went to church in Sicily in 2008 and the service was in Latin; it was awesome.  I explored quite a few churches of Puebla yesterday and even said a prayer at this one.
I was wondering what all the hype was about regarding this church, and then I went inside....
There seemed to be some type of baptism or blessing going on in this room, which was adorned with rich gold.
When I reached the main alter I was beside myself.  It was such an amazing work of art!  I sat down, listened to Neil Young, tears streaming down my face.  When I was in 2nd grade, I started to go on an annual fishing trip to Canada with my dad and grandfather.  It was that year, 1992, that I first listened to both Neil Young Decade albums and the epic Led Zeppelin II on cassette for days while we fished.  So, for those of who do not consider Neil Young a God of sorts, I can tell you right now that you need to be saved.
As I continued to explore, I came across these guys!  I held them both, the white one was very calm and the brown one was crying a lot.  I felt like I should have given him a bottle or something.  I considered running down the street with the white one, quickly trying to figure out how to smuggle him back to the United States.  Then I thought of my mother, who would drop dead if I were to be arrested in Mexico!  I just kissed their little heads and took their picture instead.
Red or green? (Hint: there is no wrong answer.)
4 for a dollar!  Yes, PLEASE!
Selling avocados
For better or for worse, I make friends with strangers where ever I go.  Last night I was locked out of my house so I decided to go to the "Italian" restaurant down the street to kill time.  I had a few glasses of Spanish cabernet that didn't suck, and a Margherita pizza that I swear had margarine on it.  As I was wrapping up, two gentlemen sat at the table next to me and we started to chat, as my Spanish always gets better when I drink more and think less.  They insisted that I try the pasta with octopus, and all of sudden I was inhaling MORE food (I'm never one to disrespect!) while they explained the different between linguine and spaghetti to me.  Obviously they were unaware that I have an honorary degree in pasta, but I let it slide in an effort to be polite and continued to eat and listen.  After that, they coached me on the proper way to enjoy Anis de Mono, which is ultimately Spanish sambuca.  Hold it on your mouth, they said, and then wash it down with your Americano.  No problem, guys!  I like this game!






No comments:

Post a Comment