Friday, August 16, 2013

A Day in Cholula - Climbing a Pyramid and Exploring a Market

Today I took a taxi to Cholula which is about 30 minutes from my house.  It was highly recommended by my housemates and certainly lived up to my expectations.
My first stop was the Pirámide Tepanapa.  You enter on the north side and walk through these awesome tunnels.  I am thankful that I am not claustrophobic because the tunnels seemed to fit perfectly around my body and the top was just inches from my head.
Need a workout?  Run these steps!
These steps were killer, too, but the view of the volcano was worth it!
View from the top!  I love a rich, colorful landscape.
The pyramid is topped by the Santuario de Nuestra Señora de los Remedios, which is a symbol of conquest.  I can't believe I was all the way up there!
After climbing the pyramid in the sun, I was HUNGRY!  I found this place that was recommended in my Lonely Planet book. 
I haven't had much seafood since I've been in Mexico so I asked the waitress to bring me a seafood surprise.  She was kind of concerned about my request so I narrowed it down and asked her for her favorite fish dish.  This is what she brought me.  The fish was fried perfectly and I got a complementary glass of white wine, too!  And the company of a drunk that I cursed at a few times, but that's a whole other story.  Conveniently, he was quite familiar with the string of English obscenities that I threw his way.
This cathedral was established in 1529.  It is humbling to be in the midst of such old architecture.  These beautiful tombs are from the late 1800s.
*  *  *  *  *

And then, just when I thought it might be time to chill out, drink a beer and head back to Puebla, I stumbled across a market!  There is really nothing that I love more than exploring new markets!!

Favorite market picture for obvious reasons!





No comments:

Post a Comment