Monday, August 19, 2013

A Very Oaxaca Birthday

Maybe it's just my Only Child Syndrome kicking in, but I think birthdays are VERY important!  Come on, people, it's YOUR day; it's all about you!  My love for birthdays definitely comes from my loving family.  When I was little, my grandmother used to make me personalized chocolate birthday cakes that were decorated with Barbies, Care Bears or whatever else I was interested in at the time.  On top of that, my mom (also known as the best kindergarten teacher to walk the earth) always planned impeccable birthday celebrations for me.  Whether it was miniature golf, roller skating, or pin the tail on the donkey at our house on North 25th Street, she always went out of her way to plan an amazing party for me.  Now that I'm older and I realize that my birthday fell right before the school year began, I appreciate her efforts even more.  I'm sure it stressed her out to plan these parties but she did it anyway for her one and only!  Thanks, Mom!

Today, on my 30th birthday, I traveled from Puebla to Oaxaca.  I can already tell that this city is very much my style and I'm really excited to spend the week here.  Oaxaca has a fantastic reputation for food and as a lover of all gastronomical endeavors, I set out to treat myself this evening.  There have been a lot of changes in my life over the course of the past year, and as I ate my birthday dinner alone I couldn't help but enjoy the company immensely!  I didn't feel lonely for one second, instead I felt grateful to be doing the things that I love: traveling, teaching, eating, and interacting.  My waiter also told me in broken English that when I smile it's like magic.  He was certainly not older than 23, if that...so I grinned widely and gave him a high five.  30's the new 20, baby!  Still got it! HA!  Here are some highlights from my birthday meal at La Biznaga.  I definitely researched this place on Food and Wine's website prior to my arrival in Oaxaca because I am a really big dork.

I ordered the mushroom soup because I read about it online.  It came to me in pieces... 
But look at how gorgeous it was once I put it all together and ate it!
Tuna seared rare in a green chile sauce
Cincos hermanos chocolate cake with a delicious guava sauce and a glass of Malbec 
I'm going to have to stop by again before I leave, everything was quite tasty.  Next time I'll go for the house mezcal!




No comments:

Post a Comment