Sunday, November 27, 2016

Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Another rainy day in Madrid forced me to bundle up and buy an umbrella! I wasn't sure where I was going, but then I saw a sign with the magic word..."MERCADO"

Charcuterie Heaven
I'll take one of each, please
Mom, there were more boquerones here than even you could eat! 
JAMON, JAMON!


Salmonettes, a little fishy I've never seen in the States

And now, ladies and gentlemen, the culinary highlight thus far.  Sometimes the simplest things are the best things.  This baguette was perfect, with Jamon Iberico and Olive Oil. If I die on this trip it's fine because I ate this sandwich. Seriously!

Who figured out how to treat pigs like royalty so they taste like this?!

After the market, I kind of just followed my heart and eyes, walking the cobblestone streets and constantly looking up.  This view just doesn't get old.
Much to my surprise, I stumbled across this exhibition! Only one of my favorite photographers EVER! A wide smile spread across my face, I couldn't believe how good Madrid was being to me.
This exhibition covered Bruce Davidson's work from 1955-1963, including many images of the Freedom Fighters, Martin Luther King Jr. and the Civil Rights movement.  These images seem especially telling considering our current political climate.  Seeing images of the KKK marching in 1961 made me shudder and cringe, as I am a person who rallies for equality.  I am so happy I got to see this show. The prints were so fantastic with detail in the shadows that one can only hope for from perfect negatives.  Thank you, Bruce, for giving a voice to the voiceless.
I saw this building from across a large avenue and had to get closer.  As I sat quietly while the statues stared at me with a fierce gaze, I felt very grateful for the opportunity to return to Madrid after 17 years.  I could live here in a heartbeat, and someday I will return.  For now, it's onto the next adventure: Cyprus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment