Friday, November 25, 2016

A Rainy Day in Madrid = A Day of Museums and Mind Blowing Art

 I started my day at El Museo del Prado.  For those of you who don't know, The Prado was built in 1785 and is neoclassical masterpiece.  Originally, it was the palace of King Fernando VII, and in 1814 he decided to use it as a museum.  It is home to some of the finest artwork in the world and today I saw paintings that I never dreamed I would see in person.  The paintings were so huge and so well preserved that I definitely teared up a few times while I was there. I have been known to cry tears of joy when I am happily overwhelmed, and The Prado certainly had that effect on me. Check out some of the illegal pictures I took in spite of all the swarming guards.
A room full of Goya's black paintings...cue the tears

Self Portrait because why not

Velazquez's Las Meninas circa 1656. Never thought I would see this in person and it would be this perfect
 

Stopped for and ensalada mixta and some swordfish at this cute little spot...
And then moved onto Centro de Arte Reina Sofia!
Angelés Santos
Picasso's Guernica shot from the hip so that lady on the left didn't beat me up
Richard Serra
Salvador Dalí
Man Ray (Philly, represent!)
Ramon Gomez de la Serna
Proper Propaganda (Yes that is a Dilated People's reference for those of you who remember Expansion Team)
_____________________________________

After a long day and walking 5.5 miles, I decided it was time to eat!
Jamón croquetas and razor clams
The "Baby Jar" - Egg, Potato, Truffle, Cream and an Albariño
Beef Cheek with Rioja












No comments:

Post a Comment